Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Emperador Whisky

The past few days have been the hottest days in Manila this year. The toads have been running wild in our frontyard - I counted three last night when I went out to feed the cats.

I got a small bottle of Emperador whisky for about 28 pesos or US$0.50 which I'm now drinking as I blog. According to my students, its quite a popular "hard" drink. But after sampling it, I don't think its quite as good as San Miguel Gin which tops my list of great drinks. I noticed, sitting next to the Emperador was Kung Fu Whisky, Shaolin Style gin and a variety of unusual concoction that I've never heard of - remind me to try that Kung Fu Whisky at a latter date.

After the Asian fiscal crisis in the late 90's, the sale of alcohol declined as many Pilippinos had to resort to gut-tighting means to get by. They're now drinking hard - perhaps to make up for lost time. According to a February 2005 report in The Straits Time - Brandy was big business from 1999 to 2003 jumping by more than 550 per cent in sales. The sale of wine and spirits has pretty much peaked out in this part of the world. Now the good marketing folks at San Miguel are starting to target woman and amateur drinkers (like me) to generate more sales. I don't think they'll get very fa, because unlike western woman, Filippino woman are a more conservative breed altogether.



ABOVE - Toads are invading our backyard!

12 Comments:

Blogger cheH said...

BTW toby,did you try tuba or lambanog ? :)

5:17 AM  
Blogger Toby said...

Hi Cheh, thanks for dropping by. I've heard of Tuba but I've not tried it yet. I sampled Lambanong and alot of other wine when we visited Viagan last Christmas. It was strawberry flavoured, I didn't like it that much because it was abit too sweet. Maybe its an acquired taste. We're planning a trip at the end of April for Ana's brothers wedding in Cagayan, hopefully I can sample some fremented coconut wine. I heard they're very nice.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Nikka said...

Hi Toby,

I guess you've discovered the important role that alcohol plays in Philippine society :) I hope you've also been enjoying classic San Miguel beer (though I prefer and miss! San Mig Light)

12:54 AM  
Anonymous NiHao said...

I'd far rather have those cute toads in the backyard than the sneaky little geckos. Those little lizards are so quick you can't catch them, but you can just feel them watching you!

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolita chin
lolitas 13
lolitas kid
free anal sex
lolita picture
lolita suck
lolita cp terra loltobbs ftp lol
lolita vip lolitas virgins bbs
lolita lolly fuck movie children
lolita chin
lolitas 13
lolitas kid
free anal sex
lolita picture
lolita suck
lolita cp terra loltobbs ftp lol
lolita vip lolitas virgins bbs
lolita lolly fuck movie children

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

norwegian star ncl alaska cruise critic

9:13 PM  
Blogger aveleen said...

hey, it's Emperador Brandy not whiskey ok...

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

telephone service seo tip backlink service backlinks software

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.tobyspiritualjourney.blogspot.com Cash Advance CA Cypress Doing that may save you the effort of dealing with companies that may or might not exactly be reputable

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I just would like to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got right here on this post. I am returning to your web site for more soon.

[url=http://xrumergeek.com]homepage[/url]

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so interesting! I do not believe I have read through anything like that before. So great to find another person with some unique thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is something that's needed on the web, someone with a little originality!

[url=http://truebluepokies4u.com]Truebluepokies4u[/url]

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very happy to uncover this website. I want to to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to check out new things on your web site.

[url=http://pokiesportal4u.com]click here[/url]

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home